Pages

Monday 2 May 2016

Malay Food Craze

Greetings~

Ok, Iman had shared some of her favourite Indian food and I bet it seems familiar right? Also, yes okay Iman, it is Dosa and not Thosai (I'll try not to argue hehe).
Anyway, it is my turn now to introduce my all time favourite Malay cuisines!
Though, unlike Iman's, I don't have a specific breakfast, lunch or dinner favourite. I will share 2 kind of the foods that I can eat all day long (including tea time).

This 2 foods are the kind of food that my mom will surely cook anytime of the day when she knew that I'm going back to my hometown. She even will use these to bribe me (not that I'm complaining). I love you, mom~

However I must highlight this, me and Iman share a thing in common; We don't favor rice as much as what the stereotype says. So, don't expect any rice meal in my list :p huhuu


1. SAMBAL SOTONG !!!!!

Aaaahhh them sotong~

Sambal is a mixture of chilies and some other condiments sauteed together and sotong is squid. I love spicy food and squid is my favourite seafood. Hence, Sambal Sotong is a dish of spicy goodness that can lure me into buying them at nearest cafe or restaurant any single time. 

Usually, sambal sotong is served as a side dish to many kind of other main food, the most popular one is nasi lemak (fragrant coconut milk rice). But, I usually eat it by itself or with other side dishes.

2. GULAI MASAK LEMAK CILI PADI 

yyuummm, I can slurrpp that spicy soupy gravy

.....I'm not sure how to translate the dish's name (direct translations are too ridiculous). Gulai if I'm not mistaken can be roughly translated as a type of curry where the dish is cooked using coconut milk. Cili padi is a type of chili that is soo small yet soo powerful in term of the chili hotness.
Again, it is a spicy dish that we usually eat with rice and I would say the process of cooking it is a bit technically complex.

Depending on people's preferences, we can use meat or seafood as the main hero in the gulai and then add it in the name. For instance, in the picture above they use ikan keli bakar (grilled catfish) therefore, the whole dish is called as Gulai Ikan Keli Bakar Masak Lemak Cili Padi. Phheewww mouthful.

My personal favourite is ikan pari bakar (grilled stingray) and daging salai (smoked beef). Eat it by itself and slurp up the soupy gravy / sauce... Deliissshhh~
___________________________________________________






1 comment: